Internet-to-tv download systems
To be sure: other systems include TiVo/Netflix, Starz/RealNetworks, CinemaNow, Movielink, RipeTV, TimeshiftTV (Broadband Networks), MovieBeam (Disney), SBC/EchoStar, Verizon/DirecTV, Blockbuster.com, Microsoft Media Center, etc.
- Akimbo was launched in October, Dave is introduced November 15
- The Akimbo service requires a $230 box (80 GB hard drive), Dave's software is available for free download (Dave will introduce a box next year)
- Akimbo charges 10 $/mo (or $200 for lifetime) plus some premium channels and PpV, DaveTV only uses the PpV model
- Both services supply an EPG
- Akimbo is ad-free, Dave uses targeted ads
- As to content: Akimbo specifically targets niche content and signed up 60 providers so far, Dave also aims at the large video music market; in due course both aspire to offer regular Hollywood content; Akimbo has a trial with TBS for CNN, TCM, Cartoon Network, etc. content