WiMAX: Clearwire (Craig McCaw)
- $900m funding from Intel and Motorola
- Working on a deal with DirecTV (controlled by News Corp)
- To join the August 9 FCC AWS auction
- $130m funding from GE, TXU, Sensus and EarthLink (earlier investors: Google and Liberty Media et al)
- Linked to WiFi through Google and EarthLink (stakeholders)
- To join the August 9 FCC AWS auction in the POP Wireless consortium
Add some cross-links
- Google is a candidate for serving ads on News Corp's MySpace.
- AOL resells Clearwire. Google holds a 5% stake in AOL.
- Lots of speculation around Google's infrastructure efforts (servers, dark fiber, server chips, WiFi access, FON, VPN) to bring the internet closer to the user.
- News Corp wants to buy out Liberty Media.
- Motorola has WiMAX as well as BPL capabilities.
Now do the math.