They have stated before that they are "out to commoditise bandwidth". The new catch phrase could be: "we like being a very fat and dumb pipe".
Some of the highlights:
- Its BHAG was to become #1 after 10 years i.e. in 2016 in the four-player Hong Kong market. By 2011, it is #2. And HKBN is larger than #3 and #4 combined.
- There are 3 drivers: the receding recession, dense population and the geography.
- Lacking any legacy networks also determines the strategy.
- Capex is just USD 200 per home.
- In highrises, routers are installed every 10-12 floors, with Cat 5E cabling reaching to every home. It guarantees 100/100 Mb/s to 80%.
- For running the company, there are the three E's: entrepreneurship, execution and engagement.
- It has to be kept in mind that the 1 Gb/s at EUR 18 is just a starting point for the company's marketing machine. Within three weeks, the sales organisation starts calling new subscribers to upsell services such as VoIP and IPTV.