To freshen up your mind, here are the specs (comments welcome to add more).
- Name: Next Generation National Broadband Network.
- FTTP, but apparently no decision on active (P2P) or passive (PON) yet.
- Targets: 1 Gb/s, reaching 60% by 2010 and 95% by 2012; universal service obligation from 2013.
- Passive layer (NetCo): to be built by OpenNet, a consortium of SingTel (30%), Axia (30%), Singapore Press (25%) and Singapore Power Telemedia (15%); maximum state subsidy SGD 750m. Wholesale prices: 15 SGD/mo for residentials, 50 SGD/mo for businesses, no connection fee. Furthermore, SingTel will be allowed/forced to spin-off ducts and other infrastructure into an AssetCo. OpenNet will lease those assets from AssetCo.
- Active layer (OpCo): winner to be announced 09Q1 (bidders: BT, DT, SingTel, Axia, StarHub, MobileOne, City Telecom); maximum state subsidy SGD 250m.
- Service layer (RSPs): to be announced.
- Name: High Speed Broadband (HSBB) Project.
- FTTH, EPON.
- For high-density areas only. Target: 1.3m homes passed by 2012.
- State to subsidise around 20% of the total cost ($3.3bn), Telekom Malaysia to be the rest.
- No open access (regulatory holiday) until September 15, 2015.
- More details 09Q1.