- Voice calls will never be absolutely free.
- VoIP isn't really mature today.
- Slow braodband uptake.
- VoIP will capture 30% of the residential fixed voice market in 2010 and won't approach 100% until 2020.
- Global portals like MSN, AOL, Yahoo! will never be able to claim national consumer VoIP market leadership in any Western European country.
He does have a point though when it comes to incumbents and VoIP:
- Pro-active incumbents launched flat-rate PSTN calling.
- By launching VoIP services, ADSL bundles, and enhanced functionality services, incumbents are fighting the pure plays on their own turf.
- Incumbents have many advantages in brand names, customer base, billing, financial strenght.
- The best pure plays can hope for is to be acquired or to license their often interesting technology and service concepts.